Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The World is an unholy place

So, I had a long political conversation with a bunch of crazies last night at dinner. I love when the term "open-minded" means "like-me-minded." I feel like I do a good job of listening to others' ideas and opinions without cutting them off (you guys are all family, so I don't feel bad about cutting you off, but it's not something I do to people with doctorates too often), and I feel capable enough to comment and disagree while still displaying a healthy amount of tact and understanding.
I was actually being lauded as a "progressive conservative" in their words, and they were very polite and sympathetic about my "unfortunately misunderstood" religion, etc., but as soon as they asked me which issues, as a relatively conservative player in the game, were key for me, and I started right out with abortion, I was the blankety-blank-blank who was backwards, intolerant, and ignorant.
I've been thinking the last few days about this topic: I have never been this alone before--spiritually speaking. On a mission, you at least have a companion to glance at, give the "holy cow, this is completely ridiculous" look, and leave. Here, I just have to stick around and listen and watch everyone drink and whatever all day long. The best days by far of my vacation have all been Sundays. I am a wimp and want to go home where it's safe. I love Utah, small town backcountry life, and having temples and churches on every block.

No comments: