Friday, September 28, 2007

Quiz info...


I just thought some people would like to know what I read from a Nibley book a long time ago and has come up recently in my classes...He claimed that Isabel was another way to transliterate the name of a Phoenician (Canaanite) Fertility goddess or cult. I don't have any other sources, though he is likely, in my opinion, tracing the word belle back from French to Phoenician or Syriac "Bel" (or Baal), which denoted Lord or Master, and was not the name of any specific god, much like LORD in the KJV. Belle would tie back to a femine title, and refer to possibly Astarte or more probably Anath--but I don't have a working knowledge of 36 languages so I cannot give the details.
The point is--remember when Alma talks to Corianton and he rebukes him for following after the harlot Isabel? Well, she led away the hearts of many, and then Alma starts talking about denying the Holy Ghost. Nibley points out the possibility that this was a Canaanite cult that was revived by some of the less righteous people among the Nephites, and that Coriantumr was doing more than committing sexual sins, but also possibly mixing or fusing or abandoning the religion he was supposed to be preaching.
We've been talking about the Phoenicians lately and I just think that that is pretty cool, and while It does not offer salvation, it is yet another probable connection of Near Eastern society and culture about which Joseph Smith had no knowledge and also perhaps gives a greater insight into Book of Mormon society--acting just like the Israelites back home, and also into the troubles Corianton may have gotten into.
Thank you for reading my post this day.
Go Cavemen.
Go Cougars.

5 comments:

Shane said...

Excellent post Joe! Definitely thought provoking.

Anonymous said...

hey not that this has anything to do with anything but what happened to Kati. We haven't heard from her for awhile. Hi Kati.

Anonymous said...

excellent thought!

Jeff said...

Obviously my spiritual insight and study to gain it needs to pick up.

Kirk and Christy said...

although I didn't understand most of this, the bit in the middle was interesting. I was pretty much lost through the rest.