Sunday, September 16, 2012

BYU-Utah Quick Thoughts

Some quick thoughts about the game:
Broncos record against Whittingham is taking a beating with 3 straight losses.
Hard to win when you have more turnovers.
I am naming my next son Van Noy.
Defense played well, 2 big plays given up, but you can't ask for much more than that (two offensive touchdowns off a long punt return and an interception).  However, it must also be noted that their starting quarterback and running back were not playing.
Special teams lost the game (like 2 years ago), with the punt returns and missed/blocked field goals...  But helped out with the punt block in the 4th.
Offensive line looks offensive.
Nelson did not win or did not lose the game and the fumble was not his fault, but we got little out of the offense.  It is a sad commentary about my expectations that when they showed BYU's passing yards total in the 3rd quarter and we had 74 total yards, that I thought at the time - "That's about what I expect and I can live with that because we have not turned it over."  Nelson had a horrible 3rd quarter, but to his credit, did throw a beautiful pass in the 4th to Hoffman.  I even liked the play call with 8 seconds left (out and up attempt), but the ball floated terribly on that throw (possibly was deflected...).
Bronco has stated that the large number of penalties in the first two games did not hurt us and that he was not concerned.  I wonder if that has changed as he watched us self-destruct with false starts that killed our drives and personal fouls that kept their drives alive.
Finally, I have decided that I am still a Telestial person, because I was so rooting for BYU to win at the end (obviously because I like BYU) but a large reason was also against Utah fans.  Can you imagine the silence in the stadium and overall thought process if BYU had won?  It would have been the first time I can remember that a game's outcome would have been blamed entirely on the fans (and rightfully so - that is a penalty).  In the coaches postgame conference: "Well, we would have won, except that our fans gave them the victory."  Yes, I wanted Utah fans to eat that slice of humble pie, instead, I am sitting here eating it and trying to repent for those thoughts.
Until Thursday.

5 comments:

Tamara said...

"Offensive line looks offensive."
Funny, and true. Rem even posted a Facebook status to let off some steam, which is a 1st.

Also, Riley Nelson is awful. We may be the only fans hoping that our starting quarterback gets hurt.

Tamara said...

Jeff, while I will agree Nelson only threw one no-look pass that was intercepted, there were several open receivers that were missed. If we are holding teams to less than 250 yards of offense and lose our offense stinks. There were bad plays and calls (like the absence of an onsides kick), but we can't move the ball because our quarterback can't throw.

Remington said...

That 2nd "Tamara" is actually Rem.

Kristen said...

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending Nelson, just saying he is what I thought he was and expected that. Because I knew (or had my suspicions) that he would not "win" a game against a good team, I base my hopes on him not losing the game for us. For the most part (other than the pick) he did not lose it for us. However, the utter lack of an offense while he is in there is definitely the reason we lost.
This is also Jeff

Jeff said...

One last thought: Utah's two starting safeties were also not playing (injury and suspension), so passing should have been easier.